Officially Feb 12, 2014 is the blog’s 1 year anniversary. However, I posted my first article on Feb 17 so I’ll consider that day as the anniversary. Hui3r aka Jessy was the one who set up the blog and did most of the writings initially. I never intended to do much except as a guest writer once in a blue moon. Like the plot of a promising novel that trainwreck, I ended up blogging all alone now. Sob, sob, such sad fate:( Thus, thank you to the support of my readers to keep me going. Oh, what a coincidence this is my 100th post. I can’t believe that I’ve been so hard-working. No wonder I am exhausted:P
As a present, I am posting something akin to the bestseller of this blog, the 50 Most Influential Chinese Romance Internet Novels. The ranking should be taken with a grain of salt as I am not sure of the sampling involved. Also, different people has different taste so you may not agree with the ranking or your favourite book didn’t even make it to the list. You should utilise the comment function here to voice your disagreement, or agreement. I’ve included the genre, A = Ancient or M = Modern and whether it has HE = Happy Ending, OE = Open Ending or BE = Bad Ending to help you pick your novels.
75. Twilight Upon a Thousand Snow-capped Mountains – Fei Wo Si Cun (M, HE)
I have only watched the drama Sealed With a Kiss which has a poorer ending than the novel. Don’t even bother with the special. There is an English translation of the novel.
73. 玛丽在隔壁 – 校长 (Ma Lì Zai Ge Bì – Xiao Zhang) (A, HE?)
I don’t know anything about this novel. I need comments!!!
73. Hundreds Millions Wife Buy One Get One Free – An Zhi Xiao (M, HE)
This is a super duper long novel which I gave up because it is so draggy like a soap opera. The author is quite good with her writing with enough angst, humour, drama and cuteness. I suggest you read only the first 200 or so chapters.
72. Searching for Past Lives – Vivibear (A, HE)
I avoid everything written by Vivibear because of the plagiarism controversial so no comment.
71. Exclusive Memory – Mu Fu Sheng (M, HE)
Bongsd likes this book but as my faithful readers should know I am allergic to teacher & student relationship novels.
68. That Year, Time Flew – Jiu Ye Hui (M, OE)
One of cloud&sea’s favourite novels but it is kind of sad so I am staying away from it. For Eddie Peng’s fan, he will star in the movie version.
68. Cinderella’s Dream – Fei Wo Si Cun (M, BE)
I watched the drama The Girl in Blue adapted from this book and I am not impressed.
68. Hello, Old Times (你好,旧时光) – 八月长安 (Ba Yue Chang An) (M, HE?)
I’ve heard about this book but I don’t have time to check it out yet. Anyone read it before?
66. 木槿花西月锦绣 – 海飘雪 (Mù Jǐn Huā Xi Yuè Jǐn Xiù – Hai Piao Xue) (A, HE?)
Such a super long book and another time travel book, so count me out. Comment, please.
66. Passion Heaven – Zi Yue (M, BE?)
I heard about this book but I am not really interested to check it out because it seems like a sad and serious novel. Am I right? I think I read somewhere that Lee Min Ho will act in the movie version of this?
65. Chaos of Beauty – Duo Duo Wu (A, OE)
I think this book is kind of like no. 46, the battle for empire kind of novel.
64. Who Waits, Coincides with Flowers – Big Grey Wolf with Wings (M, HE)
I don’t plan to read this novel because I don’t like the male lead who made an appearance in another two novels I read. Seoul can tell you more about the novel.
63. Only if the First Sign of Life – Mei Zi Huang Shi Yu (M, HE)
I listened to the audio book a long time ago. I don’t really like it but it is very popular in China.
62. Heavy Sweetness, Ash-like Frost – Dian Xian (A, HE)
One of my favourite xian xia book. I need to boast that I was the one who recommended this book to xiaoyuer and persuaded decembi to pick up the English translation:P
61. The Translator – Miao Juan (M, HE)
This book is quite interesting on life as a translator but I’ve not finished it yet as I am still waiting for my radio drama update.
60. Never-Flowers in Never Dream (梦里花落知多少) – Guo Jing Ming (M, BE?)
I am allergic to Guo Jing Ming’s novels. Nothing personal, just not my cup of tea. Oh, I found out that this was adapted into a drama and broadcasted already.
59. Song in the Clouds – Tong Hua (A, BE)
This is my favourite Tong Hua’s book and I think the saddest. You can check out the substantially completed English translation.
58. Warm Chord – An Ning (M, HE)
Bongsd loves this novel but I am confused by the incomplete radio drama. I probably need to listen again and ask Bongsd. Pm hates this novel with a vengeance so read at your own risk due to the difference in taste and opinion.
56. Killing of Three Thousand Crows – Shi Si Lang (A, HE)
Decembi likes this book and I like the male lead, Fu Jiu Yuen, lol. Decembi promised to write an article on it:P
56. To Our Eventually Lost Youth – Xin Yi Wu (M, OE)
I don’t really like this critically-acclaimed book because of the two selfish male leads. I feel Let Me Look at You is Xin Yi Wu’s best novel.
55. Bloom – Big Grey Wolf with Wings (M, HE)
I want to say I hate this borderline porno novel so read it at your own risk!
54. Liang Sheng, Must We Be Sorrowful? – Le Xiao Mi (M, BE)
The title of the novel sounds like it is a sad coming of age novel but don’t quote me on it. There are three books in total.
53. Drunken Exquisiteness – Shi Si Ye (A, HE)
I read good reviews on this novel but it is also rather long. Why all the ancient novels are so draggy? I gonna give the audio book a try soon.
51. 穿越与反穿越 – 妖舟 (Chuan Yue Yu Fan Chuan Yue – Yao Zhou) (A, HE)
This author also wrote Blood X Blood, ranked no. 19. Hence, I should give either book a try as I feel the author is rather humorous.
51. A Lonesome Fragrance Waiting to be Appreciated – Feng Nong (A, HE)
This is a firm favourite at the book bar. I don’t know why, so can anyone enlighten me?
49. Summer of Bubbles – Ming Xiao Xi (M, OE)
I am not really interested in Ming Xiao Xi’s novels as the characters are so cartoonish and there are always a few males. If you support the wrong one, then it’ll be a sad ending so I put this book as open ending, depending on who you supprt.
49. Rush to the Dead Summer – Guo Jing Ming (M, BE?)
Another mr. popular’s novel, so run run run…….
47. You’re Still Here/Original – Xin Yi Wu (M, HE)
This novel is quite good as the male lead Chen Zheng is very devoted, just like He Yi Chen and he has a sense of humour. He is also terrifying since he stalks the female lead.
47. Once We Come Across Love – Yi Jin (M, HE)
This is a cute and sweet story on childhood sweethearts from the day they were born. However, it is way too draggy so decembi and I never bother to finish reading it.
46. Emperor’s Conquest – Mei Yu Zhe (A, OE?)
I have heard about this book but I am not really keen on it because the two leads are not really lovable as they come across as cold.
45. First Love Forever Love – 舒仪 (M, BE)
I read the summary for this novel. The male lead is very sacrificial and nice but has such sad ending.
44. When Spring Ends, I’ll See You Again – Shu Ke (A, HE)
Decembi likes this novel so you can read both of our features on it. I am not a fan of Shu Ke but at least this novel is short.
43. Too Late To Say I Love You – Fei Wo Si Cun (M, BE)
I watched the drama and needless to say Wallace Chung looks handsome and dashing in uniform. Xiaoyuer translated part of the novel if you want to read it in English. The book doesn’t have a happy ending for Wallace’s character.
42. A Gentleman’s Promise – Jiao Jiao (M, HE)
Pm likes this novel because there are many swoon worthy guys. The downside is so hard to choose.
41. Across A Millennium to Love You – Qiu Ye Yu Han (A, HE)
This is an okay time travel book. I don’t think it is that good to make this list.
40. Tiny Times – Guo Jing Ming (M, OE)
Oh no, GJM again, please spare me the drama and the agony:P
39. Love is Still Here – Piao A Xi (M, HE)
I’ve read this novel and will post it on the book bar soon. It is an interesting book exploring the difficulties of modern marriage.
38. Third Kind of Love – Zì You Xing Zou (M, BE)
This novel is very popular in China but I don’t like novel that is too realistic and materialistic.
37. Lan Yin Bi Yue – Qing Ling Yue (A, HE)
I am saving this book for rainy days. It is a spin-off book of my favourite ancient novel, Who Gets the World which is ranked no.18. Therefore, I am sure it is a good book:P
36. Time Will Never Go Back – Tong Hua (M, OE)
I’ll give this a miss as I am never fond of coming of age novel especially one with an open ending.
35. Twice Blooming Flower – Tang Qi Gong Zi (M, HE)
This is T7’s worst novel, a modern version of Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms, with a weak plot structure and characters. Decembi said T7 has edited it extensively so I hope the revised version is better.
34. To Ruin A Kingdom – Shí Sì Quē (A, OE?)
According to decembi, the female character is apparently super awesome and smart (hence she can become an empress), but the male lead she first loves… never ever loves her back. It’s a happy ever after tragedy, because she learns to let go and marries the second male lead.
33. 凰权 – 天下归元 (Huang Quan – Tian Xia Guī Yuan) (A, HE)
This is a very popular author who writes long ancient novels. She also has another novel ranked no. 11. Hence, I must definitely listen to one of her books one day even if it kills me, lol.
32. Best to Have Met You – Celine Gu Xi Jue (M, HE)
I’ve listened to the radio drama and it is not bad. Thus, I went to read the novel and I like it. No angst, very sweet & heart-warming a feel good novel. Thus, I am translating it.
This is my favourite novel by Big Grey Wolf because of Xiao Bai. Restricted to those over 21 years old.
30. Empresses in the Palace: Zhen Huan Zhuan – Liu Lan Zi (A, BE?)
Another palace novel, fighting for the ugly king, lol. You can watch this with English subtitles.
29. Love in Another Life: My Gentle Tyrant – Mo Wu Bì Ge (A, HE)
I am interested in this novel but it is long and there is no audio book. I listened to the radio drama trailer and it is rather exciting and funny.
27. An Unrivaled World – Li Xin (A, BE)
This is the author who wrote Beautiful Country which Ruby filmed with Yuan Hong. I am not going to read this novel because it is long, has sad ending and also I am bored of Manchu historical setting.
27. Man Man Qing Luo – Zhuang Zhuang (A, HE)
This is a favourite with the Thai readers. There may be a drama adaptation with Chen Xiao and Zhao Li Ying if you believe Yu Zheng. Xiaoyuer wrote a feature on it.
26. Li Chuan’s Past – Xuan Yin (M, HE)
This novel is being translated into English by a fan. You should be able to see the drama this year but nobody knows when yet.
25. Once Promised – Tong Hua (A, BE)
After three novels by Tong Hua, I am taking a break from her books as she is such a step-mother. The sequel is Eternally Yearning For You.
24. 沉香如屑- 苏寞 (Incense Fragments /Chen Xiang Ru Xie – Su Mo) (A, HE)
I sort of read the synopsis for this book. It is rather draggy and I think at the beginning it is more like a supernatural novel than a xian xia.
23. Come & Eat, Shan Shan – Gu Man (M, HE)
I don’t need to write much on this since I am translating it. Everyone know I love Shan Shan and Feng Teng. Although the novel is simple and typical, it is happy and funny to brighten up your day.
22. Dazzling Lan Ling – Vivibear (A, OE)
As I’ve mentioned before, I don’t read anything by Vivibear. This is not the same Lan Ling as that Ariel and Feng Shao Feng’s drama.
21. Song in the Peach Blossoms – Mi Bao (A, HE)
This book is alright but it is a time travelling book which decembi and I don’t like. The leads are quite loving & funny but a tad too draggy.
19. Blood X Blood（血族传说）- 妖舟 (Xue Zu Chuan Shuo- Yao Zhou) (M, HE)
According to Camille, the novel seems to be a mix of vampire legends, science fiction and battle between aliens. She thinks it is different from the English Twilight. The main guy doesn’t appear many times but there are a lot of supported male characters who are love interests of the main girl.
19. Three Lifes, Three Worlds, The Pillow Book – Tang Qi Gong Zi (A, HE)
This book needs no introduction as I am sure nearly all of you who are reading this, are also reading hamster’s translation on Dong Hua and Feng Jiu.
18. Who Gets the World – Qing Ling Yue (A, HE)
I listened to the audio book which is one of the best. Thus, this is my favourite ancient novel so you must read or listen to the audio book. I did a summary and some scene translations on it. I like Bai Feng Xi and Hei Feng Xi very much.
Queen of No. 11 Agent – Xiao Xiang Dong Er (A, HE)
This looks like a very popular novel but it is super duper long. There is an audio book but with sole voice:( This author seems to be very popular as her other super long novels are also well-received (暴君，我来自军情9处 and 军火皇后)
16. Cry Me a Sad River (悲伤逆流成河) – Guo Jing Ming (M, BE)
I am allergic to Guo Jing Ming’s books so I am avoiding all of them. From the title, I guess it has a sad ending.
15. Ballad of the Desert – Tong Hua (A, OE)
This is the first English translated novel I read so I have fond memory of it. I put the ending as open because it depends on who you shipped. If you are on Huo Qu Bing’s boat, then happy for you but if you on Jiu Ye’s one then here is a tissue for you.
13. Faithful to Buddha, Faithful to You – 小春 (A, HE)
According to decembi, this novel is beautifully written. It’s apparently inspired by a real life figure who was considered one of buddha’s reincarnations? There’s probably the tension between striving towards Buddha-hood (hence detachment of emotions) and falling in love. This is definitely going to be a heartbreaking book since the real life figure died when he was 24 years old.
13. Steal Love – Zhao Yu (M, HE)
Bongsd likes this book as there are plenty of actions as the leads travel around. Although the audio book has dual voices, the male voice is a let down so I am not eager to listen to him.
12. Bu Bu Jing Xin – Tong Hua (A, BE)
I watched the drama and enjoyed it. Thus, I am recommending it to everybody. The novel and the drama are fairly similar. All the delicious looking guys made me feel hungry, lol. I am on 4th Prince team:P
11. 扶摇皇后 – 天下归元 (Fu Yao Huang Hou – Tian Xia Gui Yuan) (A, HE)
According to decembi, this is one of those fighting for throne books. The reviews are very mixed as some love it but some hate it.
10. So What, You Are My Student? – Tian Fan (M, HE)
I listened to the radio drama. I feel it is just average and don’t understand why it is so popular. I am allergic to teacher and student relationship book so my opinion may be bias.
9. Eastern Palace – Fei Wo Si Cun (A, BE)
I listened to the audio book. It is one of Fei Wo Si Cun’s better book. The story is sweet bitter because it is funny for the first half and sad thereafter. The ending is BE so it left a scar on me. Xiaoyuer also did a few articles on it.
8. Black & White – Chao Xiao Cheng (M, HE)
I read this story recently. This is the first triad book that I like inspite of the blood and bland female lead. I feel the supporting characters in the story overshadow the leads. Anyway, the Tang brothers are very captivating.
7. Xian Xia Qi Yuan Zhi Hua Qian Gu – Fresh Guo Guo (A, HE)
I didn’t read or listen to the novel but I sort of know the whole story pretty well since I did a feature on it and queenanon discussed the book in details with me because she loves this novel.
6. A Heart Warming Decade – Shu Hai Cang Sheng (M, HE)
I didn’t listen to the audiobook because there is only 1 voice and it is too long. The subject matter is a bit controversial so it will not appeal to everyone. To each its own.
5. Three Lives, Three Worlds, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms – Tang Qi Gong Zi (A, HE)
I read hamster’s excellent English translation on it. I like the novel mainly because I like the adorable little dough and it is my first ‘xianxia’ book.
4. One Smile is Very Alluring – Gu Man (M, HE)
I listened to the radio drama. It is something of a hybrid book because the online game is a wuxia world. I like the online interactions and feel that the book becomes typical after they met in real life. I think this is the first online game novel. It will be filmed into a movie.
3. Feng Qiu Huang – Tian Yī You Feng (A, HE)
I didn’t listen to this story because the audiobook is not good and the story is too long. If you are interested, xiaoyuer wrote a few features on it.
2. Hua Xu Yin – Tang Qi Gong Zi (A, OE)
I listened to the radio drama. It is very interesting and funny but all the sub-stories are so angsty which made me cried buckets. Although the ending is appropriate in the context of the story, it is still too sad for my liking. It has been adapted into a drama but it didn’t follow the novel faithfully so I am doing the summaries to let you know the real story.
1. Silent Separation – Gu Man (M, HE)
I listened to the audio book and radio drama. I like this book for Gu Man’s warm language and nostalgic feeling but not as much as many people such as lidge. It is an easy book to read so I am translating it. A drama and a movie are in the pipeline.